Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Sleepless Nights

Last night was one of those nights that you hope never happens again and you would like to forget. I am going to jot it down so that one day years down the road when I am thinking to myself that I miss those sleepless nights I can read this and remember that - yes they really were terrible sleppless nights.

12:15 am return home from work
12:30 crawl into bed
1:00 falling asleep
1:15 Seth enters room - I tuck him into his "bed" that is on our floor next to our bed
1:30 Jord and I about to fall asleep again and Seth whispers "mom do you have a drink?" I told him no and to close his eyes hoping he would fall asleep and forget.
2:10 I hear Seth whisper again "Dad do you have a drink" at this time I was thinking I will just go get the kid a drink or I will be up all night. I grabbed a bottled H2O gave it to Seth and crawl into bed. I then hear him crying saying "this water tastes like silver" (yes it is Western Family water and it does have a metal taste.) So I get out of bed again and get the kid a glass of ice water, he drank the whole glass so then I made him go to the bathroom preventing another wake-up early in the morning with wet jammies. Now you would think a 4 nearly 5 year old could go to the bathroom by himself, but not in the middle of the night (2:30 am) - so I help him into the the bathroom back into the bed and I crawled into bed again myself.
3:15 Parker wakes up "mommy? daddy? mommy? mommy? We let this go on until he started crying and I knew it wouldn't quit without getting him out of his crib. I usually rock him and put him back into his crib, but I had had it by this time and just let him get in bed with me and Jord. When I go to get him out of his crib his diaper is soaked through and jammies wet. I changed him and threw him next to Jord.
3:30 I was nearly asleep again and Park starts crying for a sippy, by this time really I wanted to strangle my two children. Again - easier to go get one and try to get some sleep.
4:00 Parker starts crying - I don't know why I think he had a bit of a stuffy nose and was pissed that he couldn't breathe. Didn't care I was pissed that I wasn't sleeping.
4:30 Parker again starts crying - I do believe this time Jord said a few choice words and I was thinking the same words in my head. I just wanted to go somewhere quiet and sleep with no kids, but we finally got him back to sleep.
5:15 Parker cries Jord actually got up gets him another sippy puts him in his crib and tries to calm him down and get him to sleep - this only lasted about 5 minutes with Parker crying " I get out, I get out" Jord shut Parkers door came into our room shut our door and we tried to go back to sleep. I remember hearing Parker cry, but only until I fell asleep for the 900th time.

Now my kids always sleep in so I was thinking hopefully I can now sleep until about 10 and get some sleep. For some odd reason, Seth was awake at 8:30 wondering what we were going to do for the day.
I know I am probably not the only mother that has had nights like this, we have them quite often. Jordan and I dread even going to sleep because we know what we are in for. If anyone has any tips on how to get a 2 and almost 5 y/o to have better sleep habbits - please let me know.

3 comments:

Talbot Family said...

oh don't you worry...i feel your pain, except that if my kids woke up dustin they would be getting their butts spanked.

Anonymous said...

I am still laughing about this! I think it is hilarious!

aust, jess, janson said...

ha ha ah aha I just give in EVERY night and start with janson in bed with me... I'm so selfish and lazy

he's going to be 10 and still sleeping with his mommy lol